Cooking the perfect steak
Radio Kerry - Serves 4
- 4 Striploin steaks (8-10 oz in weight)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Tips from the chef
Other cuts of steak vary in cooking time, for example a fillet steak is thicker and can take longer to cook.
- Pre heat the oven to 190-200c.
- Heat a grill pan on the stove until very hot.
- Brush the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the steaks on the grill pan and colour well on both sides. The steak will be rare at this stage.
- Place the steaks on a tray and cook in the oven.
- As a cooking guide for an 8 oz Sirloin steak, medium rare 2 minutes, medium 3-4 minutes and well done 10 minutes or more.
- Remove the steaks from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.